Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Weather


8/15/11

For the past twenty days, the sun has shone bright with very few clouds to block its rays. Temperatures continuously hover around 4 degrees Celsius in the mornings and nearly 25 degrees Celsius by mid afternoon. Layers are key! BUT today, the wind was chilly, the sun was hiding, and dark clouds loomed in the distance threatening rain. I am from New England. I am no stranger to changing weather or rain, but on this day, the smell of rain felt foreign.
I felt like Eeyore as I was walking through the open halls thinking “tut, tut, looks like rain.” My students and I were in the middle of Morning Meeting when a long rumble of thunder distracted their little minds. Not long after, the rain moved in and with it came pea sized hail. After a quick turn and talk to discuss the changing weather, we were able to get back to work and finish our meeting. The weather, however, did not finish. Instead it grew very cold, wet, and windy. It felt like those late fall days back home when your toes are cold inside your shoes, your fingers fail to work, and your nose runs without any other evidence of a cold.
Apparently, weather like this is unheard of during a South African winter. Despite the fact that spring is right around the corner, we seem to be experiencing an unusual cold snap. So, for those of you who thought that moving to Africa would excuse me from the very cold temperatures of winter, think again. Now, if only my shipment would arrive so I can actually have a coat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment