Thursday, August 18, 2011

Merry Christmas!!


What would you put in a box and ship 8,000 miles across the ocean if you moved to South Africa? What did I put in mine? Well, it was hard to remember what I packed and shipped because it has been nearly a month now since I taped up my 18x18x18 boxes and sent them on their way. For the past three weeks, I have lived in a fairly empty apartment; void of pictures on the wall, my Pampered Chef kitchen supplies, my winter coats, and so much more! That all ended today!  At 10:30 this morning, my shipment was delivered! It felt like Christmas anticipating the treasures that hid inside those four boxes! I think the item I am most excited to reunite with is my slippers. Never again will I lay my bare feet down on cold wooden floors! Oh, and for those of you who have been following my blog, I have shaved my legs...but now I can use my good razor! :) 

Suddenly my apartment has bits of home scattered from corner to corner. I walk in my bedroom, and I see the pillow Lor made me on my bed. Near the bedside table rests my field hockey stick. My running medals will be hung on that empty wall I've been staring at for 3 weeks. My wooden angels stand guard on the mantle next to photographs of my family. My long wooden sign PORTSMOUTH is awaiting placement over my living room door. Magnets decorate the bare face of my fridge. 

AND - I finally have a coat to keep me warm on these frigid South African winter mornings. I think, next to the Lion Park, bringing my shipment boxes back to my apartment has been one of the highlights of life here in JoBurg. There's no place like home - but adding pieces of home to my new dwelling sure makes it feel close! 

No comments:

Post a Comment