Friday, August 5, 2011

Soccer Practice (8/3)


I consider myself somewhat of a jock. With most sports I attempt, I can find success in some way or another. My genes have provided me with some coordination, a great cardio vascular system, and a level of energy that supports increased activity. For years I have spent my Monday nights releasing this energy on the field hockey field as part of a co-ed recreational league. I have always loved those hours on the turf.
Now, I find myself in a country obsessed with soccer. Immediately after signing my contract I went into withdrawals imagining a life without field hockey. I packed and shipped my field hockey stick, knowing full well the only real purpose it would serve down here in the land of soccer would be as a weapon to leave by my bed. Although I don’t plan on giving up hope that somewhere I’ll find a league to join down here, I decided the only way to fulfill my need for team sports would be to jump on the bandwagon.
Chelsea, my incredibly motivated and energized travel companion/friend found a soccer team that was in need of players. In an approach to step even further outside my comfort zone and to meet new people, I agreed to join Chelsea and our new friend Beth at a practice this past Wednesday night. Three things scared me: #1 - I haven’t exercised in over two and a half weeks! #2 – My hair elastics are packed in one of my boxes that has yet to arrive in Johannesburg, and we all know how much I sweat!! And finally #3 – I DON’T KNOW HOW TO PLAY SOCCER!
Well, after an hour and a half practice which consisted of laps, sprints, drills, and some 4V4 scrimmaging, I have to report that I didn’t do all that bad! I still MUCH prefer field hockey, but it was such a wonderful experience to join a group of local South Africans and play as a team. Practices are Mondays and Wednesdays, and I definitely think I’ll go back! Why not?! I just hope I don’t break an ankle trying to dribble the damn ball – I’m not ready to experience the South African health care system.
One of the neatest experiences of the evening occurred while we were gathering our things to leave. Beth pointed to the black night and said, “Hey – look at the moon!”  It was a crescent moon, but the exciting part was that the crescent was not facing sideways. It was on the bottom of the moon – almost as if it were the smile drawn on the moon. This was one of those moments where you realize life is different. I found myself confirming my world was upside down. It made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment