People often tell me or write to me how proud they are of me for going on this adventure. I’ve been told I’m brave. I appreciate all of these comments and titles, and I do feel brave and proud of myself. However, I know in my heart, I would never have been able to commit to this life changing experience, and I will never get through it without the support of my amazing family and friends.
I didn’t need to move to South Africa. I have a wonderful home, supportive family, live-in best friend, an incredibly strong group of friends, and a successful job in New Hampshire. BUT – I did move. I knew I needed this experience in my life. I doubted the decision even before I made it, but every step of the way I have been supported and I have felt loved. It is this love and support from my family and friends that reminds me every day just how lucky I am. I can move 8000 miles away for a couple of years and know that my home - my people J - will always be “there” to welcome me back.
My friends have made sure to tell me how much I will be missed and how jealous they are of my experience. They hide notes in my packed luggage so I’ll find it when I unpack. They remind me that even when I’m sad about what I’m missing, I am gaining so much through my unique experiences here. Many of them have even booked tickets (very expensive tickets) to come visit! They write me messages just to tell me they are thinking of me. I don’t know how I ever got so lucky!
My family has never ceased to amaze me. My brother wrote me an incredibly sweet and motivating letter. He told me he was proud of me – those words settled deep in my heart. My parents have gone to the moon and back for me to make sure I am as safe as I can be, know how loved I am, and feel how proud of me they are. They remind me that this is a once in a lifetime experience and to do everything I can to make it memorable – even if it means I come home having saved no money! They have spent their days buying things and making friends with FedEx to ensure I have everything I need here. Even though I don’t see their faces over Skype (video uses WAY TOO MUCH internet here), I know they are smiling and sending me every ounce of love they can. I truly have the most remarkable parents in the world.
Lastly, there’s Lori. She has been my rock. She may be 8000 miles away, but she has been by my side with every step I have taken since the moment I entered the turnstile at JFK airport alone. She has sent me inspirational quotes, she has asked me about my day on Skype, she has reminded me that I can do this. She inspires me even when I’m not hearing her voice or reading her words. Simply knowing she believes in me gives me everything I need to make every moment of the next two years count. Lori is my world. She is everything I need. (well, I guess a man wouldn’t hurt …but I can get by for a bit ;) ) I go to bed every night and wake up every morning wishing she were just across the hall from me, but I know she is there for me in my heart.
So, as sappy as this post is – it has to be written. You all need to know just how grateful I am for everything. Life is good, and I thank you all for your part in making it that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment