Sunday, September 18, 2011

Parade of Nations


September 16, 2011

Walking down the hall towards my classroom this morning, I was greeted with the sound of good ol’ country music blaring from Sam’s iPod player in her classroom next door. With a big smile on my face and a feeling of home, I danced into her room belting out the lyrics! We both started dancing, and her “early to arrive” student stared at us like we were nuts! Dressed in cowboy boots and I in my red,white, and blue – we continued to dance like proud Americans!
Today was AISJ’s Parade of Nations – a day where students and staff were encouraged to dress in traditional clothing from their home nations. At 9:30, gathered on the field, we would parade as nations to celebrate our diversity. I layered up in my red, white, and blue and wrapped the American flag my brother gave me – which flew from his tank in Iraq – around my waist! The kids called me Captain America!
After leaving Sam’s classroom and our country line dance, I entered my classroom and immediately began playing Lee Greenwood’s PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. Singing as my students entered the room; I couldn’t help but smile and truly feel proud to be an American. Hope was first to enter the room. She was dressed in her traditional Japanese gown – complete with a large blue ribbon tied tightly around her waist and bowed in the back. She looked beautiful. Laughing at me as I was singing, “and I proudly stand up next to you and defend her still today…” Hope began to respond to the morning message.

One by one, my students filtered into the room dressed in their countries’ colors and traditional dress; each wearing a smile that suggested excitement and pride. In those moments and for the remainder of the day, I felt beautifully overwhelmed by the “world” around me. In one way, I felt so small – a tiny part of something so powerful, and in another way, I felt larger than life to be representing a country I am so proud to call home in another country that has welcomed me and so many other outsiders.


Down on the field, our entire student body (pre-k to seniors) was separated in groups along the perimeter of a large square – facing a gathered crowd of parents and community members who mirrored the colors and faces of those students about ready to parade. As I scanned the crowd of little and big alike, all I saw was a sea of diversity. Flags from 83 countries fluttered in the wind, smiles from 83 countries sat waiting their turn to march. In one corner, the red, yellow, green, and black of South Africa stood – neighbors with the red, white, and blue of the United States of America. Some areas were filled by large groups of students, who until now had never met; while others were filled with a single representative standing tall, flag in hand.

Dr. Andy Page-Smith, AISJ’s director, began the ceremonies with the announcement that this year’s parade would be the school’s largest, representing 83 nations. Following his welcome, the elementary school’s student council president asked for all to remember those affected by the tragedy of 9-11, ten years prior. My heart skipped a beat as I felt, even deeper, the meaning of being an American. The school band and chorus joined together to lead the assembly in America’s National Anthem. It felt funny to stand on South African soil and sing the words of another country’s anthem. That didn’t stop me from proudly joining the collection of voices – standing a little taller as I did.

The parade took the format of the opening ceremonies at the Olympics. Each country, in alphabetical order, was announced and then walked around the inside perimeter of the square. Some countries had a single representative who strode along, while others marched seemingly endlessly. Little 4-year olds walked side by side with young adults. Cameras flashed and flags waved. It was inspiring to stand aside as faces from all parts of the world passed me by. I was reminded just how big the world really is, and yet how we are all so similar.  


Finally, it was our turn. Like a wave rolls onto shore, American students and staff spilled onto the parade route waving the stars and stripes. I giggled with happiness, walked with pride, and smiled with every ounce of home that filled me in those moments. It’s one thing to wear red, white, and blue on the Fourth of July in the states, but it’s completely different to wear the colors of a country I love so much in a world that is 8,000 miles away.

As the Americans trickled off the grass path, a child’s voice asked for all to stand as the National Anthem of South Africa began playing. Red, Yellow, Green and Black began parading around the square complete with loud applause. Flags swooshed through the air, painted faces smiled back at the crowd, and citizens of South Africa passed by all the foreigners who were temporarily calling this country home. I took a step back with a strong realization that for the first time in my life, I was a visitor to the country I was residing in. This was the first national celebration I have ever been to where my country isn’t calling itself host. It wasn’t a sad feeling. It was a reminder that I am not home but rather in a time in my life I will never forget – a place outside of my comfort zone where I can learn more about who I am, why I am proud to wear the red, white, and blue, and who I want to be in the future. 



Copy and Paste this link into your web browser to see my PARADE OF NATIONS photo album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108109032757034854564/ParadeOfNationsAISJ?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLgmffRvpWaVA

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing story and you told it so beautifully. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see the pictures. I am so very very proud of you, and I love you tons! Love, Tamrah

    ReplyDelete