September 1, 2011
Yesterday, I wrote my morning message to the students – beginning with, “The weather is starting to warm up! Can you believe that spring is just around the corner?” Apparently, I need to learn my South African seasons because the “corner” I was referring to, happens to be today!
As I was driving in to work this morning, freezing my hands as I gripped my glass of homemade ice coffee (Nescafe, milk, and ice) and listening to Jacaranda 94.2 (the only radio station I know and listen to – mostly because I like how it switches from English to Afrikaans randomly), I learned that today – September 1st officially marks the first day of spring here in South Africa. In my naïve American mind, I had assumed that when fall begins in the States, spring begins here. Oops!
The only thing that made me feel better about this casual blunder was the fact that when I asked my two South African 4th graders if today was the first day of spring, they both looked at me with blank stares. Chenika followed with a shrug of her shoulders, and Daniele declared, “Yes it is. I think it is. Well, I’m not sure if it is.” None of use could get out of our own way on this issue! One hour later, my South African teammate confirmed that yes, today is the first day of spring, it’s the only “first day of” the country officially celebrates, and oh yea – the rain is on its way! :-/
Happy First Day of Spring!
Hey Mandy great blog.Skip and I have been following you and your adventures.Very jealous and very proud of you! Yes, you are doing it right!! love,Jen
ReplyDelete