I spent the morning growing very overwhelmed with ALL the information given to us about school: policies, handbooks, schedules, safety precautions, horror stories (so we can be prepared), insurance, health care...you name it! I kept reminding myself as I would feel the anxiety stirring in my stomach that I'm not alone and we all will get through it together, but man - it was A LOT! Our Director of the school (Andy Page-Smith) is amazing. From his perspective he probably saw the fear/anxiety in our blank stares, and he said: "Don't worry - you are my responsibility while you are in this country. You need anything; anything happens, you are scared in the middle of the night - you call one of us. We'll be there for you. You are never alone here." PHEW!
After a hot meal served to us in the cafeteria (hot was a key element seeing as it was easily in the lower 30's today), we all boarded a bus and headed to Budget Rental cars. Dun Dun Dun....time to drive on our own!! Sixteen of us paraded into the office ready to get the keys to our wheels; however, very few of us were actually ready to use them! I was given keys to a very new Chevy (light blue) sedan with leather seats, push button start, GORGEOUS! Parked three spots over was this rusted out, beaten up yellow-ish station wagon. In America this thought would never have crossed my mind, but today I wanted to go back into the office and ask if the wagon was for rent! It blows my mind the kinds of cars people drive here (mercedes, BMW, Lexus) given the high rate of hijacking. Despite my hesitation, I ended up driving the Chevy back to my apartment.
The 4 girls that live in the same complex with me (Chelsea, Samantha, Meghan, and Evelyn) and I agreed to follow each other "home" like a train. Samantha bravely took the role of lead car; Evelyn (our NYC friend who hasn't driven a car in years assumed the position as caboose. Three Honda Fits and Two Chevy (somethings) filed out of the Budget "carpark." Our bus drivers, George and Alfius (awesome guys!) were laughing as we slowly exited. The train broke up no less than 2 minutes later when the afternoon traffic of Fourways (our town) completely infiltrated the spaces between our vehicles. We were all given GPSs to help us get around for the next two years, so it wasn't so scary when we split up; however, it's true what they say about safety in numbers - or at least feeling safer amongst more people. As soon as I turned right onto William Nichol Drive (the main road) and came to a dead stop in the middle of the intersection I felt the nerves come alive! Cars were everywhere. People (obviously of a lower class - with all due respect) were walking up and down the road, right up to cars, trying to sell items. I just smiled, shook my head, and stared straight ahead. The drive was only 2.2km, but it felt like forever; and not just because of the insane traffic. Suddenly, all the warnings of hijacks and smash&grabs settled in the front of my brain, and I was scared. BUT, as I looked around and saw people of every shape and size driving their cars around me, I reminded myself that they are warnings to keep my aware - not paranoid. As long as I use my head, drive defensively, and be careful - I'll be just fine!
When I drove into our complex, where you have to swipe a card to be let in, I stopped to say HI to Kenneth. He is one of the morning security guards. My friend Katie Scully (who moved to DC last year) very wisely advised me to make friends with these guys as soon as possibly. I took her advice and have met 3 out of the 4 of our guards. Today, I laughed with Kenneth about the fact that all 5 of us just drove into the complex on our own, and then I high fived him as I drove to my parking spot. It made me smile.
Tomorrow's a new day - a free day for shopping around (no school), so we've decided we'll get back out there and try our hand at the roads again. The reality is - no sense in fearing them...they are our reality for the next two years. Might as well get used to them!
After a hot meal served to us in the cafeteria (hot was a key element seeing as it was easily in the lower 30's today), we all boarded a bus and headed to Budget Rental cars. Dun Dun Dun....time to drive on our own!! Sixteen of us paraded into the office ready to get the keys to our wheels; however, very few of us were actually ready to use them! I was given keys to a very new Chevy (light blue) sedan with leather seats, push button start, GORGEOUS! Parked three spots over was this rusted out, beaten up yellow-ish station wagon. In America this thought would never have crossed my mind, but today I wanted to go back into the office and ask if the wagon was for rent! It blows my mind the kinds of cars people drive here (mercedes, BMW, Lexus) given the high rate of hijacking. Despite my hesitation, I ended up driving the Chevy back to my apartment.
The 4 girls that live in the same complex with me (Chelsea, Samantha, Meghan, and Evelyn) and I agreed to follow each other "home" like a train. Samantha bravely took the role of lead car; Evelyn (our NYC friend who hasn't driven a car in years assumed the position as caboose. Three Honda Fits and Two Chevy (somethings) filed out of the Budget "carpark." Our bus drivers, George and Alfius (awesome guys!) were laughing as we slowly exited. The train broke up no less than 2 minutes later when the afternoon traffic of Fourways (our town) completely infiltrated the spaces between our vehicles. We were all given GPSs to help us get around for the next two years, so it wasn't so scary when we split up; however, it's true what they say about safety in numbers - or at least feeling safer amongst more people. As soon as I turned right onto William Nichol Drive (the main road) and came to a dead stop in the middle of the intersection I felt the nerves come alive! Cars were everywhere. People (obviously of a lower class - with all due respect) were walking up and down the road, right up to cars, trying to sell items. I just smiled, shook my head, and stared straight ahead. The drive was only 2.2km, but it felt like forever; and not just because of the insane traffic. Suddenly, all the warnings of hijacks and smash&grabs settled in the front of my brain, and I was scared. BUT, as I looked around and saw people of every shape and size driving their cars around me, I reminded myself that they are warnings to keep my aware - not paranoid. As long as I use my head, drive defensively, and be careful - I'll be just fine!
When I drove into our complex, where you have to swipe a card to be let in, I stopped to say HI to Kenneth. He is one of the morning security guards. My friend Katie Scully (who moved to DC last year) very wisely advised me to make friends with these guys as soon as possibly. I took her advice and have met 3 out of the 4 of our guards. Today, I laughed with Kenneth about the fact that all 5 of us just drove into the complex on our own, and then I high fived him as I drove to my parking spot. It made me smile.
Tomorrow's a new day - a free day for shopping around (no school), so we've decided we'll get back out there and try our hand at the roads again. The reality is - no sense in fearing them...they are our reality for the next two years. Might as well get used to them!
Mandy I am sure you were scared being in a new place, warnings of danger and alone. I am so proud of you! It sounds like you kept your cool and you tackled the obstacle (roadway) before you! What strengh! What Courage! YOU GO GIRL!
ReplyDelete