After many hours of very uncomfortable seats aboard the airline Etihad (has anyone heard of this one before?!), a stop over in AbuDhabi (temperature outside was 120F), and some tears in dark airplane filled with slumbering passengers - I made it!
I was greeted at customs by a very friendly South African man, had a kind encounter with a stranger at baggage claim, claimed ALL the bags I checked, and was given a very warm and welcoming hug by the head of schools (the man who hired me) as he and my new principal picked me up from Johannesburg International Airport at 5am (about 11pm Eastern time). Things were looking and feeling good.
It is currently 10:00pm on Wednesday night (4pm your time) and I have not slept (besides some very uncomfortable dozing on the plane) since Monday morning at 6am. Needless to say, this is a short post. I am off to bed. I put my new sheets on, covered it with my cozy down comforter (it is just about 30F here!), and found some hidden cards amongst my luggage from my amazing girls. Although I am missing home terribly, I am feeling good and a bit excited. I wish I could holler across the hall to Lori and tell her I love her and goodnight, but thanks to Skype I was able to do that earlier. So, I'm going to go lay my head down and finally sleep.
The first day of the rest of your life....
ReplyDelete