Sunday, June 17, 2012

Year #1 Complete


June 2, 2012


It is true what they say – time flies when you’re having fun! It seemed like ages since I sat in that Cambridge hotel room and signed my name to a two-year contract, binding me to what felt like then, a terrifying life change. 16 months later I passed my keys in to the main office, drank a beer with my good friends in the school courtyard (yes – beer at school is definitely a perk to international teaching), and drove off campus leaving my first year at the American International School of Johannesburg behind me. Before I knew it, a year had passed and not once could I remember wishing it away. My inaugural year in the world of International teaching had been quite a success both professionally and socially. It was hard to keep the smile from spreading across my face as my white Jetta passed through the security gates and into “winter” holidays – not because I was happy to leave, but because I was not afraid to come back.

In this challenging, adventurous year I changed, was inspired, and found I was a lot stronger than I thought I ever could be. The emotional side of my personality dissolved (somewhat J ) as I realized I could stand tall on my own. The adventurous desires that have always skimmed the surface of my old world bubbled up and met with few boundaries. My ability to make friends easily remained on the other side of the world, as I quickly formed deep, lasting friendships with genuine and inspirational people. This newness, coupled with the comfort of knowing those same deep friendships at home never faded despite the distance, filled me with an almost invincible feeling.

Professionally, I spent the year with less stress, more smiles, and a tremendous feeling of belonging to a team. In my previous school, I always felt like I was part of a family, but in my grade level I never had the benefits of a solid team – an absence that weighed heavily on me. This year at AISJ, I was one of the four members of the most envied team on staff. Because of our collaboration, friendship, and raw honesty with each other, I excelled as a teacher and learned more than I ever anticipated. I became a go-to person for advice on classroom management and community building within the classroom – even presenting a few workshops on the topics to my colleagues. In a final meeting my director, he commented on how much I have excelled this year and his desire for me to stick around for a while. “One of my best hires ever” he commented to a friend of mine. A perfectionist like me (some things never change) delighted in words like these.

It is with complete satisfaction and overwhelming pride that I reflect on this year. The anxiety and fear that overwhelmed me that February morning in the hotel room has dissipated and left me motivated and happy. I am not sure what this all means for my future in the world of International Teaching, but I’ve learned not to let that worry me. Next time I leap, regardless of how far, I now know that net will appear again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment