The first week I missed writing a post, I told myself - "It's ok. I'll write one next week." Then next week came and went, and I repeated the phrase "It's ok. I'll write one next week." But alas, next week came and went again, and still NO POSTS. Like a snowflake that quickly catches another flake and another, before finally sticking into a cold, solid ball of snow - my "It's ok. I'll write one next week." has turned into over three months of post-less blogging. Ooops! I am grateful for the technology that eliminates 8000 miles of land and sea and allows me the chance to share my experiences with you all back home. It has been this connectivity that has made living so far away more comfortable. Upon first arriving in South Africa, writing about my experiences helped shrink the distance because I knew my words were being read and I was being missed.
As time has marched on, I have continued to miss my life in New Hampshire, but I have also begun to create a temporary home here in Johannesburg. The nights have grown less lonely, and the days have filled with more distractions. My circle of friends has stretched and my social calendar remains full. Increased Internet capability allows me to see faces and hear voices. Regular reflections on the highs and lows of my days and experiences have lined the once empty space left in my heart after leaving home. Each day that passes I grow up more and more – I become the woman I always wanted to be but never thought I’d see – the woman who stood on my own and pushed my comfort zone and left “home.” I have an overwhelming desire to be back home every day that I am here - but the difference is: I don’t need to be.
All that “sediment” (it’s a Grampa Anderson thing) aside, I return back to the problem at hand…I have become very neglectful to all my readers out there, and for that I apologize. There have been many times when I pulled my computer out to start writing, but each time, the snowball seemed too big. The task of recalling all that had happened since the last time I posted seemed too daunting, so I just gave up. As spring pushes away winter in New Hampshire and fall’s chill begins to settle here in Joburg, it’s time to melt the snowball. J
No comments:
Post a Comment