Tuesday, October 11, 2011

ALAN IS COMING!!

October 11, 2011


With tears in my eyes, excitement somewhere inside, and fear in my head I climbed the stairs at Liz’s place emerging from the basement where the rest of the crew continued watching the Super Bowl game. Alan had just arrived and it was time to see him in person after sharing my news – I would be moving to South Africa to teach! “I’m so scared Alan!” I admitted as the salt water spilled over onto my cheeks. His response instantly warmed me, “What? Are you kidding! I’m so excited! I’ve always wanted to go to South Africa!” The excitement spread across his face like a child on Christmas morning and began to reassure me. In that moment, I knew I would have at least one visitor during my two year stay. Eight months later – here he comes!

In four days I will find my way to the Johannesburg Airport and stand near the baggage claim awaiting my great friend, my running buddy, my first American visitor - Alan. In all of my life I have never lived in a place no one else has been to before and had visitors. Seeing Alan walking towards me – a piece of home in a land so far away – is sure to be nothing less than amazing!

(His arrival marks the beginning of our spring break from school. Immediately following Johannesburg Airport, Chelsea, Alan, and I will scoot over to a smaller airport where we will take off for our visit to Cape Town. Whales, penguins, Table Mountain, vineyards, shark cages, and possibly skydiving are on the agenda…stay tuned for new posts! ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment